London's Covent Garden fruit, vegetable and flower market - on the site of a medieval convent's garden - was a continuous presence in London's West End starting in the middle of the seventeenth century. From 1830, the market was housed in and around a bespoke neo-classical building built by William Cubitt and Company.
However, by the 1960s, the large delivery lorries which brought in and took away the market's supplies of produce became an increasingly problematic traffic issue, creating major congestion in the area. In 1974, the market relocated from its position in the heart of London to the district of Nine Elms, south of the Thames. In 1980, the central market hall was reopened as a range of shops.
These photographs show the market in the last of its three hundred years at Covent Garden.
All pictures: Wolfgang Wild